World Breastfeeding Week
World Breastfeeding Week August 1 - 8, 2012
Did you know....
- Breastfeeding burns up to 500 calories a day.
- Breastfeeding helps women return to their pre-pregnancy weight faster and lowers rates of obesity in mother and baby.
- Adults who were breast fed as babies often have lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol and lower rates of being overweight, obesity and type-2 diabetes.
- The 12 milk banks in North America dispensed 2,182,916 ounces of human milk in 2011. The Mothers' Milk Bank in Colorado is located on the Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center campus.
- Working mothers miss fewer days from work when their babies breastfeed, because infants are sick less often.
- Babies who are sick less often can lower healthcare costs.
- Presbyterian/St. Luke's employs International Board Certified Lactation consultants who are dedicated to assisting mothers and babies achieve their breastfeeding goals.