Mini Gastric Bypass
Min-ee Gas-trick Bi-passEn Español (Spanish Version)
A mini gastric bypass is a procedure done on the stomach and intestines to help people lose weight. It is a type of bariatric surgery.
Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
A mini-gastric bypass is a treatment for obesity. The procedure will help limit overeating and decrease how many calories you absorb.
A mini gastric bypass may be recommended for people with a:
- Body mass index (BMI) greater than 40
- BMI greater than 35 with cardiovascular disease, sleep apnea or uncontrolled type 2 diabetes
- BMI greater than 35 with severe physical limitations that affect employment, mobility, and family life
This procedure may be done after a person has failed to lose weight by other ways such was healthful eating and exercise.
Benefits of bariatric surgery will depend on lifestyle changes that are also adopted. Benefits may include:
- Long-term weight loss
- Improvement in many obesity-related conditions, such as diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol
- Improved mobility and increased energy
- Improved mood, self-esteem, and quality of life
- Reduced risk of dying from cardiovascular disease
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.