A cystogram uses contrast dye to create pictures of the:
- Ureters—tubes that carry urine from the kidneys to the bladder
- Urethra—the tube that carries urine from the bladder to outside of the body
The Urinary Tract
Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
A cystogram helps your doctor gain more information about the urinary system. For example, if you are having urine leakage, your doctor may be able to find the cause.
A cystogram can also be used to diagnose conditions like:
- Vesicoureteral reflux —urine flows from the bladder back towards the kidneys
- Bladder distention—enlargement of the bladder
- Bladder irregularities, such as bladder cancer and incomplete voiding
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.