Wilson disease causes a buildup of copper in the body. It is very rare.

Copper is a mineral we get from food. Our bodies need it in small amounts. Too much copper can be poisonous. We eat much more copper than we need. The copper needs to be passed out of our bodies. People with Wilson disease cannot pass the copper they do not need. The copper builds up in the body and damages organs like the liver, brain, kidneys, and eyes.

Blood Supply and Liver
Blood Supply Liver
Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.

Wilson disease is a genetic disorder. A faulty gene causes this system to malfunction. Both parents must have the faulty gene in order for the child to develop the disease. People with only one faulty gene may never have symptoms. However, they can pass the gene on to their children.